Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Looking for a healthy and delicious dinner idea that is easy to make? Try this flavorful Salmon Rice Bowl recipe that’s packed with fresh veggies and healthy protein. Making a salmon bowl is a quick weeknight healthy dinner or lunch idea.
Salmon Rice Bowl Recipe
With ingredients like garlic & herb seasoned salmon, cucumber, carrots, edamame, and avocado you know this salmon bowl will be a fresh and healthy take on family dinner.
The best part is the drizzle of soy sauce (a little goes a long ways) and the creamy sweet chili sauce mayo that gets drizzle over the top. The best part is that this recipe is very adaptable. Don’t like edamame? Leave it out or use another fresh veggie of choice. Want tons of flavor? Add the everything bagel seasoning and chopped cilantro over top.
Why You’ll Love Salmon Bowls For Dinner
- Versatile & Customizable : There are endless topping options when making salmon rice bowls. Use any fresh veggies, omit one entirely and add extra of another, or make it your own with additional toppings like chopped bell peppers, halved cherry tomatoes, or chopped broccoli.
- Healthy Dinner Idea! : Sometimes you just want a dinner option that you feel good about. These salmon rice bowls are rich in protein, healthy with tons of veggies, and a pretty kid-friendly way to introduce salmon to your kids or family.
- Creamy Sauce : The recipe calls for mayo + sweet chili sauce but if you want something different use anything else. Another favorite of ours is the Wild Coyote Ranch (similar to a cilantro lime ranch) or just a simple salad dressing like ranch dressing or creamy Italian dressing, peanut sauce, or teriyaki sauce. You can also use spiced mayo spreads or keep it simple and spicy with just sriracha.
Ingredients Needed For Salmon Bowls (with Rice)
- Skinless Salmon : You need 1 pound of skinless salmon, which is easily found any grocery store. The package will specifically say ‘skinless’ on it. Usually there are 4 smaller filet portions that make up the 1 pound of skinless salmon pieces.
- Sea Salt
- Garlic & Herb Seasoning – This is a dried seasoning blend that can be found by the other dried spices. I use the brand Weber but I have seen several different ones from McCormick, Grill Mates, Dash, and Kinders.
- Butter – The salmon cooks in a skillet pan in butter. If you want a healthier swap try using extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil instead.
- Cooked White Rice – Make your own rice at home, use store-bought microwave pouches of rice, or minute rice. Use white rice, brown rice, wild rice, etc.
- Edamame Beans – You will find these in the frozen section and they come in microwaveable pouches with shelled edamame and also edamame still in the pea pod. You only want to use the edamame bean.
- Sliced Mini Cucumbers
- Shredded Carrots – You can buy already shredded carrots or use a box cheese grater to shred carrots from a whole carrot.
- Soy Sauce
- Mayonnaise + Sweet Chili Sauce
- Everything Bagel Seasoning + Chopped Cilantro – Garnish for the top of the salmon bowls.
How to Make Easy Salmon Rice Bowls (Step-by-Step Directions)
- Salmon Prep : Cut the salmon into large cubes and sprinkle them evenly with sea salt and the garlic and her seasoning. Rub and pat the seasoning into the salmon chunks to make sure they’re well coated.
- Cook The Salmon : Melt the butter in a skillet pan, over medium heat, and add the salmon ensuring not to overcrowd the pan. Cook in two batches if necessary. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, turning each salmon cube to get all 4 sides, or until the fish begins to flake easily with a fork. Remove the skillet pan from the heat and set aside.
- Assemble Salmon Bowls : Place 1 cup of rice into the bottom of 4 large bowls or serving plates. Evenly distribute the salmon between the 4 bowls and place it on top of the rice. Add 1/4 cup mini cucumber slices, 1/4 cup edamame beans, 1/4 of the slices of avocado, and 3 tablespoons shredded carrots to each bowl. Repeat with the remaining bowls.
- Sauce + Garnish : Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon sour sauce over reach salmon bowl. Stir together the mayo and sweet chili sauce until combined; drizzle some over each bowl. Finish it off with the optional garnishes of chopped cilantro and Everything Bagel Seasoning.
What Rice Is Best To Use For Salmon Bowls?
Any rice that you love will work great for these salmon bowls. Make white rice at home with this perfect stove top method, try making some coconut rice in the rice cooker, or make something different and try this amazing garlic butter rice.
You can also go the really easy prep route and use minute rice or cook up those microwaveable pouches of rice. There is also the option of using steamable frozen rice and cooking it according to package directions in the microwave.
What Are Some Other Sauce Options For Salmon Bowls?
There are lots of other sauces you can drizzle over top these salmon rice bowls. Here are some favorites of my family’s and then some other ideas.
Remember, that you can spread any sauce you want over top these bowl. Make it as spicy as you want or as mild. You can also keep the mayo and just mix something else with it. I love mixing mayo + teriyaki sauce (the thick sauce) together for these salmon bowls.
- Peanut Sauce
- Ranch Dressing – Try this easy Cottage Cheese Ranch Dressing for a healthier, protein-rich option.
- Any Salad Dressing or Vinaigrette
- Wild Coyote Ranch (similar to a Cafe Rio style ranch dressing)
- Salsa Verde
- Pico de Gallo
- Teriyaki Baste & Sauce – This is the thicker teriyaki sauce.
- Mayo + Fresh Lime Juice + Lemon Juice
- Creamy Sriracha Sauce – Hellmen’s brand or Best Foods brand.
- Creamy Salsa Verde Sauce – I have seen this from the Old El Paso brand.
- Hidden Valley Secret Sauce
- Creamy Chili Honey Sauce – Hellmen’s brand or Best Foods brand.
- Garlic & Herb Seasoning : If the garlic & herb seasoning you are using contains salt (I used Mrs. Dash Salt-Free blend) then you may want to reduce the salt to 1/2 teaspoon or a little bit more to taste. This is a dried seasoning blend that can be found easily by the other dried spices. Kinders brand, McCormick brand, Grill Mates, and Mrs. Dash are all ones I’ve seen. If you are not using a salt-free blend, reduce the amount of sea salt used in the recipe.
- Soy Sauce : For a gluten-free option use coconut aminos or Tamara sauce.
- Veggie Options : There are plenty of veggies that work well in these salmon rice bowls. Here are some additional ideas that you can swap with or add to the bowls – corn, black beans, chopped bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, snap peas, shredded cabbage mix, lettuce mix, green onions.
- Make It Spicy! : Use spicy sweet chili sauce. Add sliced jalapeños as a garnish. Use a spicy creamy sriracha mayo sauce. Add some red cayenne pepper to the salmon with the other seasonings.
More Salmon Recipes You’ll Love
Salmon Rice Bowl
- 1 pound skinless salmon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic & herb seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butter
Salmon Rice Bowls
- 4 cups cooked rice of choice (I use white rice)
- 1 cup sliced mini cucumbers
- 1 cup edamame beans (cooked and shelled)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- chopped cilantro & everything bagel seasoning (optional garnish)
- Prep : Make sure the rice is cooked, slice the cucumbers, cook the edamame, and shred the carrots (if shredding from a whole carrot) before beginning the recipe below.
- Cut the salmon into larger cubes and sprinkle them evenly with sea salt and garlic & herb seasoning. Press and pat the seasonings into the salmon to make sure they're well coated.1 pound skinless salmon, 1 teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon garlic & herb seasoning
- In a skillet pan, over medium heat melt the butter. Add the salmon cubes and cook for 1-2 minutes per side or until cooked thoroughly and the fish easily flakes with a fork. Take care not to overcook! When done, remove the pan from the heat and set aside. * Don't overcrowd the pan. We want to cook and create a nice exterior to the salmon and not steam them all together in the pan. If needed, cook the salmon in two batches. Add additional butter if needed. * Correct internal temperature of salmon should be 145℉.1 tablespoon butter
- In a small bowl mix together the mayonnaise and sweet chili sauce. Set aside.1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
Assemble The Bowls
- – Add 1 cup of cooked rice to the bottom of each bowl (4 bowls total).Place each ingredient below side-by-side on top of the rice : – 1/4 cup sliced mini cucumbers to each bowl– 1/4 cup edamame beans to each bowl– 1/4 cup shredded carrots to each bowl– Place a fourth of the avocado slices on each bowl4 cups cooked rice of choice, 1 cup sliced mini cucumbers, 1 cup edamame beans, 1 cup shredded carrots, 1 avocado
- Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of soy sauce over top each bowl.2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Drizzle some of the mayo + sweet chili creamy sauce over top each bowl.
- Garnish the bowls with chopped cilantro and everything bagel seasoning (optional). Enjoy!chopped cilantro & everything bagel seasoning