Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Birthday Cake Kiss Cookies are the perfect treat for any celebratory occasion or birthday. Colorful, fun, soft-baked cookies in this semi-homemade cookie recipe that starts with a cake mix and loaded with sprinkles all over.
Cake Mix Birthday Cake Cookies
These colorful, sprinkle loaded cookies are so fun to make and even funner to eat! A soft-baked, chewy cake mix cookie base that’s rolled in confetti sprinkles, and then you press a Hershey’s Kiss into the center for the ‘kiss cookie’.
We chose to use Birthday Cake flavored Hershey’s Kisses for these cookies to go along with the ‘birthday’ theme. You can switch it out and use any variety you want of the classic chocolates.
- White Cake Mix – Switch this up and use a vanilla cake mix or a funfetti cake mix for even more sprinkle goodness. You will use the dry cake mix that is unprepared.
- Large Eggs
- Salted Butter – This needs to be melted in the microwave for the cookie dough.
- Rainbow Colored Sprinkles – You can use the regular sprinkles or the non-pareils (which are the small ball shaped sprinkles) in these cookies. I prefer the look of the non-pareils because I think they look better on the cookie.
- Birthday Cake Kisses – If you can’t find these at the store then use any other variety of Hershey’s Kisses. You could also use another ‘birthday cake’ flavored or sprinkle type chocolate as well. The birthday cake kisses are used to match the ‘funfetti’ theme of the cookies, but anything will work just great.
How To Make Birthday Cake Kiss Cookies (Cake Mix Cookies)
- Prep : Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper (for best results) or you can spray with cooking spray or use a baking mat.
- Make Cookie Dough : Use a hand or stand mixer, and beat together the cake mix, eggs, and melted butter until a smooth dough forms. Allow the dough to sit for 5 minutes.
- Scoop Cookie Dough : Scoop out the cookies, using a medium cookie scoop (1.5 tablespoons), and then roll into a ball.
- Sprinkles : Pour the sprinkles into a shallow bowl or plate and roll each cookie dough ball in the sprinkles until they’re well coated all over with sprinkles. Place 12 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet.
- Bake : Bake for 7-11 minutes or until the edges begin to turn lightly brown and are set.
- Cool : Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the warm cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes. Move them to a cooling rack to cool completely or eat them warm.
How To Store Leftover Birthday Cake Mix Cookies
These birthday cake kiss cookies can be stored, after cooling to room temperature, in an airtight container or bag, at room temperature, for 3-4 days. You can store them for up to a week in the fridge or the freezer for 2-3 months. I don’t recommend storing them in the fridge or freezing them because the Kiss will get hard when chilled and form that white coating on them once thawed. These cookies are best served right after making them when they’re still slightly warm.
Can I Make Any Changes To This Recipe?
There are plenty of ways to change up this recipe if you’d like to. It can be changes to fit any birthday theme or celebration. Here are some ideas!
- Cake Mix : Change up the base cake mix flavor! Use a chocolate cake mix, strawberry cake mix, lemon, or any other flavor you love.
- Sprinkles : This is the best part to switch up for any Holiday or event. Use any color or colored mix of sprinkles, sanding sugar, or non-pareils to roll the cookie dough balls in. I prefer the look of the smaller ball shaped sprinkles (also called non-pareils) so that’s usually what I use. For a birthday party theme use colorful rainbow sprinkle or a coordinating color of sanding sugar sprinkles. Make these cookies for any Holiday and just switch out the sprinkles to match!
- Hershey Kisses : Any variety/flavor of Hershey’s Kisses will work so well! Pick one and use it. They are always coming out with new flavors which makes it fun.
Variation Ideas For Birthday Cake Cookies
- Chocolate Lover’s – Chocolate cake mix + chocolate/brown sprinkles + Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Kiss or Hershey’s Hugs.
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Kiss Cookies – Chocolate OR Strawberry cake mix + chocolate/brown sprinkles + chocolate dipped strawberry Hershey’s Kiss.
- Cookies & Cream – Chocolate or vanilla cake mix + Oreo cookie crumbs (to roll the cookies in) + a cookies and cream Kiss.
- Christmas Sugar Cookie – Christmas Funfetti Cake Mix OR white cake mix + Christmas mix sprinkles + sugar cookie Kiss.
- Milk Chocolate Kiss Cookies – Milk chocolate cake mix + chocolate/brown sprinkles + milkalicious Hershey’s Kiss.
- Dark Chocolate Delight – Dark chocolate cake mix + chocolate/brown sprinkles + dark chocolate Hershey’s Kiss.
- Birthday Fun! : White Cake Mix + coordinating color of fine sanding sugar sprinkles + birthday cake Kiss.
The Cookie Dough Is Sticky. What Can I Do?
If you’re having trouble with your cookie dough there are a couple of things you can do to make it easier to work with. First, try covering and chilling the cookie dough for 30 minutes. This will probably be all you need to do to get perfectly pliable but not overly sticky dough. Alternatively, you can drop the cookie dough scoop (from the cookie scoop) directly into the sprinkles and then shape it into a ball after it has been coated with sprinkles. This will keep the cookie dough itself from sticking to your hands.
More Kiss Cookies To Try
Birthday Cake Kiss Cookies
- 1 box (15.25 oz) white cake mix (dry, unprepared)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup salted butter melted
- 3/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 18-20 Birthday Cake Hershey's Kisses
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper (recommended), or spray with cooking spray or use a baking mat.
- In a mixing bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, add the white cake mix, eggs, and melted butter. Beat on medium speed until a smooth dough forms.1 box (15.25 oz) white cake mix, 2 large eggs, 1/3 cup salted butter
- Allow the cookie dough to sit, at room temperature, for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sprinkles into a shallow bowl or plate.3/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Use a medium cookie scoop, about 1½ tablespoons, and scoop out the cookie dough and roll into a ball. Roll the cookie dough ball well in the sprinkles making sure that all sides are coated well. Place 12 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7-11 minutes or until the edges are set and are light golden brown.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven when done and allow the cookies to cool on it for 5 minutes.
- Press an unwrapped Birthday Cake Hershey Kisses into the center of each cookie. Remove the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.18-20 Birthday Cake Hershey's Kisses