Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
This easy dinner recipe for Bubble Up Pizza Casserole only needs 6 ingredients! The biscuits ‘bubble up’ while baking to make a perfectly fluffy, soft, and pizza flavored filled casserole with two types of cheese, pizza sauce, and pepperoni.
Bubble-Up Pizza Casserole Recipe (Easy 6 Ingredient Casserole)
If you’re looking for a super easy dinner that your kids are guaranteed to love, then this bubble up pizza casserole is just the thing you need!
Only 6 ingredients and the casserole ‘bubbles up’ while baking, thanks to the flaky buttery biscuit dough, to create this pizza-like casserole with all the flavors of a classic slice of pepperoni pizza.
Why We Love This Casserole
- Customize this casserole to your liking! Make it spicy by using hot Italian sausage, add red pepper chili flakes, add dried seasonings to elevate the flavors.
- Cheesy and super kid-friendly. Who doesn’t love pizza?!
- Simple to make with only 6 ingredients!
- Get the kids involved in the kitchen and have them cut up, or use a knife if they’re older, the biscuit dough rounds into 8 pieces. My kids love helping with this part.
- Ground Italian Sausage – I use mild because anything other than that (medium or hot) is just too spicy for my crew. Use whichever heat level you prefer. You can also use ground beef or ground turkey for a very mild flavor/spice.
- Grands Biscuit Dough – This is the refrigerated 8 count biscuit tube. I like to use the flaky version because the texture of the cooked biscuits is the best.
- Pizza Sauce – Make it easy and buy it from the store or try your hand at Homemade Pizza Sauce.
- Mozzarella Cheese – I highly recommend buying a block of mozzarella cheese and using a cheese garter to shred it yourself. Cheese shredded from the block melts much better.
- Parmesan Cheese – This is technically optional, so if you don’t have it then don’t use it, but if you have some shredded or grated parmesan cheese in your fridge then it’s really yummy in the casserole.
How To Make Bubble Up Pizza Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a skillet pan, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble the ground sausage until it’s no longer pink. Drain the excess grease from the pan OR you can use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a paper towel lined plate to drain it.
- Cut each biscuit round (8 rounds total) into 8 pieces.
- Add the biscuit dough pieces, cooked and drained Italian sausage, and pizza sauce to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Evenly spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Top with the shredded mozzarella cheese and make rows of the pepperoni slices.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is golden and the biscuits have cooked through.
- Take the casserole out of the oven and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Serve & enjoy!
FAQ’s + Tips For Success
- Changes & Additions : This casserole can easily be modified to include your favorite pizza toppings. Some alternative additions include; green bell pepper, mushrooms, red onion, black olives, ham chunks, bacon, or cooked chicken. I highly recommend that any additions you add that they are cut very small so they will cook in the bake time given. If you want them softer, cook the veggies pieces in a skillet pan before adding them into the dish. You could even cook them with the Italian sausage.
- Spray the casserole dish well with cooking spray so the biscuits don’t stick to the pan!
- If using homemade pizza sauce in place of jarred you will need 2 cups of it.
- Cheese Tip : I highly recommend shredding mozzarella cheese yourself using a cheese grater. It melts much better in casseroles and tastes better. You can also use any cheese variety you prefer – Pepper Jack for some spice, Italian blend cheese, cheddar cheese, etc.
- Make It Spicy! : Add red pepper chili flakes, use hot or medium Italian sausage, add chili powder or red cayenne pepper.
- Ground Meat : Ground turkey or ground beef can also be used in this recipe. If using, the flavor will be very mild compared to Italian sausage. You may want to add some Italian seasoning, garlic powder, basil, and/or parsley to the ground meat to add some flavor.
Store leftovers in an airtight container, or cover the casserole dish with a lid or plastic wrap, inside the fridge for up to 3 days.
Bubble Up Pizza Casserole
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (mild, medium, or hot)
- 1 tube (16.3 oz) Grands! Flaky Layer Biscuits
- 1 jar (14 oz) pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 15 slices pepperoni (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish or casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside for later.
- In a skillet pan, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble the ground Italian sausage until cooked through and it's no longer pink. Drain the excess grease from the pan OR you can use a slotted spoon to transfer the ground sausage onto a paper towel lined plate to drain.1 pound ground Italian sausage
- Cut each biscuit round (there are 8 total) into 8 smaller pieces.1 tube (16.3 oz) Grands! Flaky Layer Biscuits
- Add the drained & cooked Italian sausage, biscuit dough pieces, and pizza sauce into a large mixing bowl. Stir together to combine.1 jar (14 oz) pizza sauce
- Evenly spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Top with the mozzarella cheese and then make rows of Pepperoni slices on top of the cheese.2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, 15 slices pepperoni
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is golden and the biscuits are cooked through. * It's important to cut the biscuits into the 8 smaller pieces so that they will cook through during the bake time.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over top. Allow the casserole to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese