Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Walking Dirt Cups are a ‘portable’ twist to the classic pudding dirt cups! Eat them and make them on the go with instant pudding mix, mini Oreo cookies, and gummy worms. They make for a great camping dessert too.
Walking Dirt Cups Recipe
I remember making dirt pudding cups when I was little. We would layer pudding, Oreo cookie crumbs, and then of course gummy worms. Oreo dirt pudding cups are such a fun dessert that kids (of all ages!) love.
Toady’s version is a portable and walking version of the classic dessert. Using single-serving sized bags of Oreo cookies creates the perfect ‘walkable’ base. Top with chocolate pudding, cool whip, and gummy worms and it’s everything you love about the classic dirt cup dessert but in a portable easy hand held form.
Why We Love These Pudding Dirt Cups
- Portable – These walking cup of dirt are a portable dessert that you can essentially walk with, if needed! They are individual desserts, handheld, and are able to be eaten even while walking!
- Great Camping Dessert! – I always make these walking cups of dirt when we go camping. They’re perfect for that because they are so portable.
- Kid-Approved – Everyone loves these fun desserts. Especially the gummy worms and Oreo “dirt”.
- Easy Prep Ingredients – A box of instant pudding, packages of mini Oreo cookies, and store bought gummy worms is all it takes. All very easy, portable ingredients that require very little effort (if any at all).
What Are Dirt Cups?
Dirt cups are made inside a cup with layers of chocolate instant pudding, crushed Oreo cookies for the “dirt”, and then topped with gummy worms. They are a fun play on dirt but with Oreo crumbs and chocolate pudding. The gummy worms are like worms in the dirt (like you would find outside).
Pudding dirt cups are a fun dessert, especially for kids, because what’s not to love about those easy ingredients!
Today’s recipe is for a portable version of classic dirt cups. Instead of cup of dirt, we will be using a bag of mini Oreo cookies, topped with chocolate pudding, and gummy worms. Hold it with your hand and eat it on the go.
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix – This is the instant version (the kind you mix with milk) and not the cook n’ serve version. They are two completely different puddings. Chocolate is traditionally what is used but I suppose any flavor can be used if wanted.
- Whole Milk – The higher fat the milk has, the better. I prefer using whole milk but 2% works fine or even half and half.
- Mini Oreo Packages – These are the small, individual serving bags of mini Oreo cookies. Instead of the crushed dirt, this recipe uses the mini Oreo cookies as the dirt and then everything gets piled into the bags.
- Gummy Worms
- Cool Whip – This is an optional garnish if wanted. It’s not always easy to take Cool Whip (especially if we’re camping) so I don’t always add the Cool Whip on top. But if I have it, it is a tasty addition to these walking cups of dirt.
How To Make Walking Dirt Cups
- Combine the chocolate pudding mix and whole milk into a mixing bowl. Whisk together until combined and mixture starts to thicken. Let the pudding sit for 5 minutes to thicken even more.
- Take each bag of mini Oreo cookies and gently crush the cookies. Just hold the bag in your hand and use your hands/fingers to crush them lightly. Cut the tops of the bags off and fold over the edges.
- Spoon some chocolate pudding into each bag. Add a few gummy worms to each bag. Top with a dollop of Cool Whip.
- Eat and enjoy!
FAQ’s + Tips For Success
- Can I Make These Ahead of Time? : Do not assemble the dirt cups ahead of time but you can prepare the chocolate pudding ahead of time. Once prepared, the chocolate pudding can store in the fridge for several days. Everything else is already prepared and ready to go! It’s best to eat the walking dirt cups immediately after assembling them.
- Can I Make Any Changes To This Recipe? : There are a few ways to change up these dirt cups if wanted.
- Use golden mini Oreo cookie packs.
- Use mini Chips Ahoy cookie packs.
- Traditional chocolate pudding is used for dirt cups but you can use any other pudding flavor you prefer (vanilla, white chocolate, chocolate fudge, banana cream, etc.).
- You don’t have to make these inside the mini Oreo cookie bags. You could just dump the cookies into a bowl and then layer on the pudding, gummy worms, and cool whip. The portable part of the recipe are the small packages of cookies.
- I recommend not using the spray can of whipped cream because once you spray it, it melts pretty quickly and makes a mess. You could also make your own homemade whipped cream if you prefer not to use Cool Whip.
- Pudding – Use store bought pudding cups in place of making the pudding with the milk. You could also use a box of Oreo cookies & cream instant pudding mix instead the chocolate pudding mix.
For an even quicker dessert try using store-bought cups of chocolate pudding or chocolate vanilla swirl pudding cups!
More Oreo Dirt Recipes You’ll Love
Walking Dirt Cups
- 1 box (5.1 oz) instant chocolate pudding
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 snack packs mini Oreos
- gummy worms
- Cool Whip (optional garnish)
- Add the instant pudding mix and whole milk into a mixing bowl. Whisk together until it starts to thicken. Let the bowl sit for 5 minutes to continue thickening.1 box (5.1 oz) instant chocolate pudding, 2 cups whole milk
- Gently use your hands to lightly crush each bag of mini Oreos. Cut the tops off and fold them over (to create a bowl type shape).8 snack packs mini Oreos
- Spoon some pudding into each bag of mini Oreos. Add a few gummy worms on top. Add a dollop of Cool Whip.gummy worms, Cool Whip
- Eat immediately and enjoy!