Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
This fun recipe for Candy Sushi makes an adorably sweet sushi roll made entirely with sweet treats and candy! Rice Krispie treats, fruit roll-ups, and candy fish is all you need for this “sushi” candy.
Try these Oreo Crab Cookies for another fun recipe that kids (of all ages!) will love.
Rice Krispie Candy Sushi Recipe (Fruit Roll-Ups & Swedish Fish Candy)
If you’re looking for something fun to do with your kids, get them in the kitchen and make these adorable, kid-friendly, and completely delicious candy sushi rolls.
Prepare a simple Rice Krispie treat recipe, roll it up inside a Fruit Roll-Up with mini Swedish Fish candies inside.
If you’ve got sushi lovers in your house (most of my kids are) then this candy version of a sushi roll is guaranteed to be an instant hit. This is a fun activity to do that gets kids involved in the kitchen, and it’s the perfect rainy day activity or for some lazy day summer fun.
Why You’ll Love This Candy Sushi
- Gets Kids Involved In The Kitchen – As a mom of 4, I know that when my kids can help in the kitchen, whether it be for dinner or a sweet treat, they are more likely to eat what I put in front of them. I’ve never met a kid that does not like to make a classic recipe turned into a sweet sugary snack!
- Fun Dessert For Sushi Night – My family does not eat out often, but when we do, one of our go-to choices is sushi. This Rice Krispie candy sushi makes a fun dessert for after the “real” sushi dinner.
- Rice Krispie Treats
- 12 oz Mini Marshmallows
- Vanilla Extract
- Rice Krispie Cereal
- Candy Sushi Rolls – After making the Rice Krispie treats, here is what you’ll need to assemble the sushi rolls.
- Fruit Roll-Ups – Any variety or color will work. These create the nori or seaweed for the candy sushi.
- Large Swedish Fish – These are the classic, larger sized Swedish fish candies. The larger fish go on top of the sushi.
- Mini Swedish Fish – These are specifically labeled as ‘mini size’ on the package. The smaller fish are for inside the sushi roll.
How To Make Candy Sushi (Step-by-Step Instructions)
- Line a 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside for now.
- Add the butter to a microwave-safe bowl (alternately you can make this on the stove top) and melt for about 30 seconds or until completely melted.
- Add in the mini marshmallows and heat in 30-second increments, stirring between each one, until the marshmallows are completely smooth and melted.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Immediately add the rice cereal and stir until all the cereal is combined with the melted marshmallows.
- Pour half of the Rice Krispies into the prepared pan. Use wax paper to gently press the mixture into the dish (about 1/2-inch to 1 inch thick), making sure that it’s flat and smooth across the top.
- Unroll the fruit roll-ups and spoon about 3-4 tablespoons of rice cereal into the fruit roll-up. Add 6 mini Swedish fish, and roll the candy sushi into a tight roll. Use a serrated knife to cut the sushi roll into 4-5 pieces.
- Next, cut the Rice Krispies (in the 8×8 pan) into 1×2-inch rectangles. Place a large Swedish fish on top of each one, cut a fruit roll-up into 1 inch wide strips and use a strip to wrap it around the rectangle.
FAQ’s + Expert Tips
- This is a great recipe to work on with multiple people because there is a job for everyone to do. You want to work as quickly as possible because the marshmallow rice Krispy treats will start to harden, and become more difficult to work with, the longer they sit out.
- Spray your fingers with cooking spray, or use wax paper, when pressing the Rice Krispies onto the fruit roll-up so they don’t stick to your fingers.
- How To Store Candy Sushi : Make sure place the leftovers inside an air-tight container, and leave them at room temperature, for up to 3 days. They taste best if they’re fresher (like the day they’re made) but leftovers are still yummy to eat.
This ‘candy sushi’ recipes creates two different varieties of sushi. The first is Nigiri which contains one piece of fish (aka – Swedish fish candy) on top, while the other is called Maki Rolls which contain the filling and “fish” on the inside of the roll.
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 bag (12 oz) mini marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 8 fruit roll-ups (unwrapped)
- 18 large Swedish fish gummy candy
- 48 mini sized Swedish fish gummy candy
- Line a 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper or wax paper. * Tip – Spray the pan first with cooking spray and then line it. The spray helps the paper adhere to the pan and keeps it in place.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, or in a large pot over low heat on the stove top, melt the butter. Once melted, add in the mini marshmallows and heat in 30 second increments (if using microwave), stirring after each one, until the marshmallows are completely smooth and melted.4 tablespoons butter, 1 bag (12 oz) mini marshmallows
- Stir in the vanilla extract (if using the stove top, remove the pot from the heat before stirring in the vanilla).½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add in the rice cereal and stir until well combined and all the cereal is coated in the marshmallows.6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- Pour half of the Rice Krispie mix into the prepared pan. Use wax paper, or spray your hands with cooking spray, to gently press the mixture into the dish. About 1/2-inch to 1 inch thick and the top should be smooth and flat.
- Use the remaining Rice Krispie mix and spoon 3-4 tablespoons over the 8 fruit roll-ups. Place 6 mini Swedish Fish on top of the Rice Krispie treats. Roll it up tightly. Cut each 'sushi roll' into 4 pieces.
- Next, cut the pan of Rice Krispies into 1×2-inch rectangles. Place a large Swedish Fish candy on top. Use the remaining two fruit roll-ups and cut them in 1-inch wide strips to wrap around each sushi piece. * The pan should yield 18 small rectangle pieces.
- These candy sushi rolls are best enjoyed immediately.