Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Looking for a quick and easy soup recipe made with leftover chicken? Try this Creamy and Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup that’s packed with flavor and a creamy rich texture. Use up leftover chicken, or a rotisserie chicken, to create this cheesy enchilada soup with cream cheese and Velveeta cheese, along with hearty ingredients like black beans and corn.
Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
This creamy & easy chicken enchilada soup recipe is made with simple ingredients on the stove top inside a soup pot. It’s so easy to make thanks to the pantry ingredients like canned black beans, Rotel, enchilada sauce, frozen corn, shelf-stable vevleeta cheese, and leftover chicken.
Make it really simple and use a rotisserie chicken or canned chicken in this soup. Canned chicken is actually tastier than you might think especially when it’s “hidden” in this creamy cheesy soup.
My favorite thing about a big bowl of soup are all the toppings! Load up this creamy enchilada soup with things like chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, and avocado slices. My kids also love to dip tortilla chips into the soup.
Ingredients For Easy Enchilada Soup Recipe with Cream Cheese, Velveeta Cheese, and Cooked Chicken
- Cooked Shredded Chicken : The best part about this easy soup recipe is that it calls for already cooked chicken. Use up leftover chicken, buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, use canned chicken (it’s better than you think!), or buy some pre-cooked chicken chunks at the grocery store.
- Black Beans : Drain the beans first in a colander and then run cold water over them to rinse them off. If you don’t like black beans then use your favorite kind of beans instead.
- Frozen Corn : Frozen sweet corn has better texture than canned corn but canned corn can be used if that’s what you have.
- Rotel : This is a specific brand of canned diced tomatoes and they have the addition of green chilies in the mix. It provides some mild flavor for the soup. Rotel tomatoes come in original, mild, medium, or hot & spicy heat levels.
- Enchilada Sauce : Use a can of red enchilada sauce or green enchilada sauce. Whichever you prefer.
- Chicken Broth : I prefer using full-salt chicken broth but you can also use reduced-sodium broth if needed for dietary restrictions or if that’s your preference. Chicken stock can also be used.
- Mexican Velveeta Cheese : This is the block of processed cheese and it’s best for this enchilada soup recipe because it melts really smooth and creamy, helps to thicken the soup, and provides a really rich & creamy texture that you just can’t get with shredded cheese. If you can’t find the Mexican variety (with peppers and chilies in it) then use regular velveeta cheese or the queso blanco velveeta cheese.
- Cream Cheese : The addition of cream cheese adds more creaminess and a rich cheesy texture to the soup. Full-fat cream cheese or lite cream cheese both work well in the recipe.
How To Make Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup (Step-by-Step Directions & Recipe Card)
- In a large saucepan or soup stock pot, over medium heat, stir together the chicken, chicken broth, black beans, Rotel, enchilada sauce, and frozen corn until combined.
- Heat until it’s boiling, while stirring frequently, for about 5-8 minutes.
- One boiling, reduce heat to medium-low of needed, and continue cooking for about 10 minutes until heated through.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the cream cheese and velveeta cheese until smooth and creamy, and melted.
- Serve hot with your choice of toppings.
Can I Adjust The Spice Level In Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup?
The great thing about this recipe is that the spicy ingredients can all be adjusted to your spice preferences so you get the right amount of heat. Here are some ideas on ways you can increase, or decrease, the spice level of this easy favorite soup recipe.
- Rotel : Use medium or hot Rotel instead of the mild or original rotel. Using mild rotel will provide a mild kick of spice (but still some spice). If you prefer no spice then use a can of petite diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes with green chilies (not the Rotel version just regular canned diced tomatoes).
- Dried Seasonings : Add a pinch of red cayenne pepper, chili powder, or chipotle powder in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Velveeta Cheese : The Mexican version of this processed cheese does have a kick to it. Use regular velveeta cheese for a milder soup.
- Add Ingredients : Add a can of diced green chiles or chopped jalapeños in with the rest of the soup ingredients.
What Are Some Changes I Can Make To This Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe?
Depending on how seasoned the chicken is that you are using, you may want to add some extra flavor like a sprinkle of taco seasoning (or a whole packet of taco seasoning) for some spice. You can also just add 1/2 teaspoon of each of the taco seasonings – cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder.
I love using a rotisserie chicken in this recipe because the chicken is already seasoned well.
If you want a more robust flavored enchilada soup then add a packet of taco seasoning, chicken taco seasoning, or other spices in with the soup ingredients.
Use any canned bean you prefer. Pinto beans, light red kidney beans, or white beans are all great choices for this recipe.
How To Store Leftover Soup
Allow any leftover of this creamy soup to cool to room temperature. Transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, simply heat it up on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through.
If the soup is too thick after refrigerating, you can add a bit of water, broth, or milk to thin it out while reheating.
I don’t recommend freezing this cheesy enchilada soup because once all the cheese (velveeta and cream cheese) is frozen and then thawed, it will take on a grainy texture and not be as smooth and silky.
Optional Toppings For Serving
This creamy and cheesy chicken enchilada soup is best served with lots of toppings. Here are some of our favorite toppings and more ideas to try :
- Sour Cream
- Greek Yogurt
- Tortilla Chips
- Chopped Cilantro
- Jalapeno Slices
- Sliced Green Onions
- Hot Sauce Drizzle
- Shredded Cheese
- Tortilla Strips
- Lime Wedges
- Chopped Avocado
Easy Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2½ cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can (10 oz) mild rotel do not drain
- 1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 ounces Mexican Velveeta (cut into cubes)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (cut into cubes)
- In a large saucepan or soup pot, over medium heat, add the chicken, chicken broth, black beans, rotel, enchilada sauce, and frozen corn. Stir together and heat until boiling.2½ cups cooked shredded chicken, 2 cups chicken broth, 1 can (15 oz) black beans, 1 can (10 oz) mild rotel, 1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce, 1 cup frozen corn
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure that noting is burning to the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the cubes of Velveeta cheese and cream cheese. Stir and let it cook for about 5 minutes or until it's melted and creamy smooth.8 ounces Mexican Velveeta, 4 ounces cream cheese
- Serve with your favorite toppings like sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado slices, tortilla strips or chips, lime wedges, and chopped cilantro.