Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Make the classic muddy buddy snack mix into these adorably cute, bite-sized Muddy Buddy Bites! Chocolate Chex cereal, peanut butter, and butter get mixed together and then coated in powdered sugar.
For the classic snack mix try making Muddy Buddy Chex Mix as well.
Muddy Buddy Bites Recipe
These muddy buddy bites are completely addicting and so fun to eat! The classic snack mix is a combination of Chex cereal coated in a chocolate + peanut butter mixture and then covered in powdered sugar while it’s still warm and wet. As it dries, it creates this perfectly stackable mix of crispy and sweet, with the best texture.
These bites are just like the classic snack mix (also called muddy buddies or puppy chow) but in a small, bite-sized shape.
Chocolate Chex cereal gets crushed and mixed with peanut butter, butter, and vanilla extract for flavor. Then you roll into balls and cover the balls with powdered sugar. This is a must try recipe!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Creamy Peanut Butter – For the best texture and results, I recommend only using regular creamy peanut butter and not one labeled as ‘no-stir’ or ‘all natural’. I like the Peter Pan brand but Jif, Skippy, or a store brand work great too.
- Butter – I use salted butter because I think it tastes best when used, but unsalted butter can be used if that’s what you have. You may want to add a pinch of salt (optional) if using unsalted butter.
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Chex Cereal – There really are no substitutions for this. Traditionally, muddy buddies or puppy chow, is coated in melted chocolate. The chocolate Chex cereal acts as the ‘chocolate’ in this recipe.
- Powdered Sugar
How To Make Muddy Buddy Bites (Step-by-Step Directions)
- Prep : Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, tin foil, or wax paper. Set aside.
- Cream Butter + Peanut Butter : In the bowl of a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, cream together the peanut butter, butter, and vanilla extract until combined and it looks whipped and lighter in color. About 2 minutes.
- Chex Cereal : Dump the entire box of cereal into the mixing bowl and beat on low speed until the cereal is crushed and combined. Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar and mix to combine.
- Scoop Bites : Use a medium cookie scoop, or about 1.5 tablespoons, to scoop out the muddy buddy mixture and roll it into a tight ball. Place the balls on the prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Freeze : Place the bites in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Powdered Sugar Coating : Add the remaining 1 cup of powdered sugar into a gallon size Ziploc bag. Add the balls into the bag, seal the bag, and then shake it until the balls are coated in powdered sugar.
- Serve : Take the balls out and place them on a serving plate. Enjoy!
There are 9 cups of cereal inside a 12.8 oz box of Chocolate Chex. If using a larger box, that’s ok, simply measure out 9 cups and add it into the mixing bowl.
Although I love using the chocolate Chex cereal for these bites, you could try using Peanut Butter Chex cereal or the rice version of Chex.
Try using crunchy peanut butter for a slightly different texture and added crunch.
- Use a Cookie Scoop : Using a cookie scoop makes it super simple to scoop the mixture out and it ensures that all the bites are the same size.
- Serving Size : You can make these muddy buddy bites as large, or as small, as you want. The serving size listed in the recipe card below is when using a medium cookie scoop (1.5 tablespoons).
- Don’t Have a Stand Mixer? : After making these bites so many times, it is much easier to mix everything (especially that cereal) when using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. If you don’t have one, that’s ok, simply use a large mixing bowl and an electric hand mixer. You may want to roughly crush the cereal before dumping it into the bowl. Just take the bag out of the box and use your hands to crush it slightly. This will make it easier to mix in when using a hand mixer.
More Small Bite Treats To Try
Muddy Buddy Bites
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box (12.8 oz) Chocolate Chex Cereal
- 2 cups powdered sugar divided
- Prep : Line a baking sheet/cookie sheet with parchment paper, foil, or wax paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, add the peanut butter, butter, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until fluffy looking and lighter in color. About 2 minutes.1 cup creamy peanut butter, 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dump the entire box of cereal into the stand mixer bowl and beat on low speed until combined thoroughly and the cereal is crushed. * It's 9 cups of cereal if using a larger sized box.1 box (12.8 oz) Chocolate Chex Cereal
- Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined.
- Use a medium cookie scoop (1½ tablespoons) to scoop out the mixture and roll it into a ball. Place the ball on the prepared baking sheet and repeat until done.
- Place the balls in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of powdered sugar into a gallon-size Ziploc bag. Add the muddy buddy ball bites into the bag, seal the bag, and shake until all the balls are coated well in the powdered sugar. * If needed, add more powdered sugar to cover the bites well.
- Remove the muddy buddy bites from the bag and place them on a serving plate. Enjoy!