Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Quick Easy Chicken Tostadas are perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. These chicken tostadas use leftover chicken, and other simple ingredients, so they can be on the dinner table in less than 30 minutes!
For another quick dinner idea be sure and try these family favorite Cheeseburger Cups.
Easy Chicken Tostadas Recipe
If given the choice of one thing to eat for the rest of my life, it would without a doubt be anything Tex-Mex or south of the border inspired. Give me all the tacos, burritos, nachos, quesadillas, enchiladas, and chips & salsa.
Which is why my family loves this easy chicken tostada recipe. Not only is it a fast dinner that can be ready to devour in under 30 minutes, but it uses simple & convenient ingredients, that you probably either have in your pantry, or are very easily found at any store.
When serving tostadas I love to set out bowls of all different toppings and then everyone can create their own just how they like it.
Why You’ll Love This Simple Dinner
- Super Quick Dinner! : Is there anything better than getting a yummy and healthy dinner on the table in about 20 minutes?! I don’t think so. This is a quick dinner that is ready in hardly any time at all.
- Hands On Dinner : My kids love anytime they can ‘create’ their own dinner. I lay out bowl of different taco toppings, that way everyone can top their tostada just the way they like it.
- Uses Leftovers : Use up leftover Shredded Chicken Taco Meat, or ground beef or turkey taco meat, you can also buy a rotisserie chicken from the store to make it really simple. If you have leftover beans you can use those as well.
- Tostada Shells – These are already crisped up corn tortillas that you’ll find by the other tortillas and Mexican food at the grocery store. These are super quick way to get this recipe on the table fast!
- Cooked Chicken – Use up leftover chicken or grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. You can also use leftover taco meat or any other protein you have available.
- Black Beans
- Yellow Corn – One small can is what you will need. If you can’t find the smaller can, then just use half of a larger can of corn.
- Salsa – Use your favorite variety of salsa! I love the fresh refrigerated salsa that you find in the deli section.
- Taco Seasoning – You only need 2 tablespoons of seasoning from one packet. There will be about 1 tablespoon leftover.
- Shredded Cheese – I use Colby Jack cheese but you can use any cheese you want.
How To Make Quick Chicken Tostadas with Leftover Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper. You can also line the pan with tin foil if you don’t have parchment paper.
- Lay 8 tostada shells on the parchment paper lined pan. If you can’t fit 8 then either make two batches or use two baking sheets. You don’t want the tostadas touching at all. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until they’re nicely toasted and golden brown on the edges.
- Prepare the chicken filling while the tostadas are in the oven. In a medium saucepan or skillet pan, over medium-high heat, combine the chicken, beans, corn, salsa, and taco seasoning. Cook for several minutes, while stirring occasionally, until everything is heated through.
- Take the toasted shells out of the oven and add 1/2 cup of chicken filling onto each tostada. Top with about 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Put the tostadas back into the oven and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings like shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, black olives, sour cream, avocado slices, guacamole, etc.
FAQ’s + Expert Tips
- Can I Make My Own Tostada Shells? : Yes, you can. You will need yellow corn tortillas as well as oil. Lay the corn tortillas on the baking sheet and brush each side with oil. You want enough oil so that the tortilla is shiny, but not so much that there is pools of oil on the tortilla. Bake for 5 minutes, flip over each tortilla, and bake for another 5 minutes. Prepare the recipe as directed by adding the chicken filling and cheese, and baking again.
- Serving Suggestions : Here are some topping ideas for this tostada recipe – shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, chopped tomatoes, pico de gallo, avocado slices, chopped cilantro, black olives, or sliced jalapeño. My family also likes to add some rice (either Spanish Rice or cilantro lime rice) on the tostadas as well.
- How To Store Leftovers : I recommend only making as many tostadas as you will need. The tostada shells won’t store well because the soften up quite a bit and lose all that amazing crunch. Place any leftover chicken filling into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
- Can I Make It Spicy? : Yes, it’s so simple to make these tostadas spicy with just a few changes and swaps. Use a packet of hot taco seasoning, add extra chili powder and/or red cayenne pepper along with the taco seasoning, use shredded PepperJack cheese, or top the tostada with jalapeño or hot sauce.
Easy Chicken Tostadas
- 8 tostada shells
- 2 cups cooked chicken (shredded or chopped)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can (8.5 oz) yellow corn drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I use Colby Jack)
- taco toppings for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450℉. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or foil. * You may have to either prepare two baking sheets OR cook in two batches because you don't want the tostada shells touching or overlapping at all.
- Lay the tostada shells on the baking sheet, making sure that they are not touching or overlapping at all. Cook for 6-7 minutes or until they're nicely toasted and golden brown.8 tostada shells
- While the tostadas are baking prepare the chicken filling. In a skillet pan or saucepan, over medium-high heat, stir together the chicken, beans, corn, salsa, and taco seasoning. Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until everything is incorporated and heated through.2 cups cooked chicken, 1 can (15 oz) black beans, 1 can (8.5 oz) yellow corn, 1 cup salsa, 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Remove the tostada shells from the oven and place 1/2 cup of chicken filling onto each one. Top with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.2 cups shredded cheese
- Put them back in the oven and cook for 6-7 minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings. We love shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and sour cream.