Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Homemade Funfetti Sugar Cookies loaded with colorful rainbow funfetti sprinkles! Simple to make sugar cookie dough with sprinkles. Kids and adults alike love these fun cookies that are soft-baked and chewy.
Try these Mini Funfetti Cheesecakes for another funfetti recipe. Perfect party food!
Funfetti Sugar Cookies
Anytime something is covered in colorful sprinkles it’s always a good thing! You can’t help but smile when you see these cute funfetti sugar cookies. A soft and chewy sugar cookie base that’s full of sprinkles. Inside the cookies and on top!
The cookie recipe does require 1 hour of fridge time before baking (I know… so annoying!) but it’s essential for these cookies so they don’t spread all over the cookie sheet and come out flat.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- All-Purpose Flour – I use unbleached all purpose flour.
- Salt – Kosher salt or sea salt are the best for baking cookies.
- Baking Soda + Baking Powder
- Unsalted Butter – You can use salted butter, but make sure to reduce the salt to 1/4 teaspoon or not at all, depending on preference.
- Granulated Sugar
- Large Egg
- Vanilla Extract – Use pure vanilla extract, rather than imitation, for the best flavor.
- Rainbow Sprinkles – I love the Walmart Great Value brand because there is no brown color in them. Look for a bright, rainbow mix of sprinkles.
How To Make Homemade Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to a small mixing bowl. Stir together with a whisk to combine.
- In a separate larger bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy. About 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Again, scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients in and mix on low speed just until combined. Stir in the sprinkles with a spatula.
- Scoop the dough out using a medium cookie scoop. About 1.5 tablespoons of dough. Place them onto a plate. Refrigerate the cookie dough for 1 hour.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place some additional sprinkles into a small bowl. Take one dough ball at a time and press it down into the sprinkles. Place 12 cookies per sheet with the sprinkles side facing up.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the warm sheet for 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
FAQ’s + Expert Tips
- Chill Time : I am totally that person that will not make a cookie recipe if it calls for fridge time before baking. But… these cookies do really need it to prevent them from completely flattening during the bake time. It’s also much easier to scoop the dough prior to chilling, so make sure you scoop it first and then chill it.
- Sprinkles : Do not use the little ball shaped sprinkles (called nonpareils) because they will bleed color all over the cookie dough and turn it a weird purple/brown color. Use the jimmies sprinkles, like what’s pictured, that have the larger and longer shape to them.
- Creaming Butter + Sugar : When the recipe says to beat for 2-3 minutes, don’t skip over that. At first the mixture will seem dry and crumbly, but keep beating it, and as you beat more air into it, it turns a fluffy and is much lighter in color.
- If you use salted butter in the recipe just make sure that you reduce the added salt to 1/4 teaspoon or omit it entirely, depending on your preference.
More Funfetti Treats To Try
Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup rainbow jimmies sprinkles (plus more for tops of cookies)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda until combined.1½ cups all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- In a separate larger mixing bowl, or you can use a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Start on low speed and increase speed as needed.1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and add in the egg and vanilla extract. Beat until well combined and incorporated.1 large egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl again and dump in the dry ingredients. Mix on low speed just until combined and no flour streaks remain in the dough.
- Stir in the rainbow sprinkles with a wooden spoon or spatula.1/3 cup rainbow jimmies sprinkles
- Scoop the cookie dough, using a medium cookie scoop (1½ tablespoons), and roll it into a ball. Place them onto a plate.
- Chill the dough for 1 hour in the fridge.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 350℉. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place some additional sprinkles into a small bowl. Take one cookie dough ball at a time and gently press the top of it into the sprinkles. Place 12 cookies per cookie sheet with the sprinkles facing up.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 9-11 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the warm cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack to cool completely.