Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Irresistible Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats perfectly combine the sweetness from marshmallows with the nutty flavor from peanut butter. A delicious and satisfying snack, these krispy treats take just minutes to make with crispy rice cereal, mini marshmallows, peanut butter, and butter.
Peanut Butter Lovers Rice Krispie Treats – Made with Creamy Peanut Butter
These sweet and delicious Rice Krispie treats are a sweet treat that the whole family loves. So easy to make with only 5 ingredients – butter, creamy smooth peanut butter, mini marshmallows, vanilla, and Rice Krispie cereal is all it takes to whip these cereal treats up.
Creamy peanut butter takes classic Rice Krispies to a whole new level! The creamy goodness of peanut butter pairs perfectly with the gooey and sweet marshmallow mixture, and the chewy texture of the crispy rice cereal.
Simple Ingredients Needed (5 Ingredient Easy Recipe)
- Rice Krispie Cereal – Generic store brand or the name brand cereal will work just fine.
- Salted Butter – Unsalted butter can be used but you want to add 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt in with the other ingredients.
- Creamy Peanut Butter – It’s best to use creamy peanut butter instead of crunchy peanut butter or all-natural peanut butter.
- Vanilla Extract
- Mini Marshmallows
How To Make This Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treat Recipe (Printable Recipe Card Below)
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Pour the rice Krispie cereal into a large mixing bowl and set it aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over LOW heat (don’t increase the heat at all), melt the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, keeping the heat at low, slowly stir in the peanut butter and vanilla extract with a rubber spatula.
- Stir in the mini marshmallows until melted and smooth.
- Pour the marshmallows mixture into the rice Krispie cereal inside the large bowl (that was set aside from earlier). Use a rubber spatula to stir it together until well combined. The mixture will be thick and sticky.
- Press the Rice Krispie treats mixture into the prepared pan. Use your hands or a rubber spatula. If it’s a sticky mess then try spraying your hands with cooking spray, or wetting them until slightly damp, or use wax paper or parchment paper to press the mixture into the pan.
- Let the pan set at room temperature for 30-45 minutes or until cool and set.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
How To Store Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats (Crispy Bars)
It’s best to store Rice Krispie treats, or cereal treats, inside an airtight container at room temperature. If you plan on stacking the crispy treats then be sure to place a piece of parchment paper between each one to avoid sticking. Also, make sure to cool the treats to room temperature before storing them in an airtight container.
If you plan on making these for school lunch treats, I recommend wrapping each Rice Krispie treat in plastic wrap and then storing the wrapped treats inside an airtight container or a large Ziploc bag.
Which Type of Peanut Butter Is Best To Use For Crispy Treats?
For the best results I suggest using regular creamy peanut butter – like Jif, Peter Pan, Skippy, or a store brand. I don’t recommend using any peanut butter that has a thick oil layer on top or anything labeled as no-stir or all-natural peanut butter.
Although, if you’re familiar with baking with those types of peanut butter then maybe it will work just fine. if you want to swap out the peanut butter, I recommend experiment. There regular peanut butters have more oil and creaminess to them while the other varieties tend to dry out baked goods.
Tips + Tricks For Making Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Bars
Here are a few of my helpful tips for success so you can have great results replicating the recipe in your own kitchen.
- Low Heat : Only use low heat when melting the ingredients on the stove top. Never turn it up past low heat. Make sure to constantly be mixing to prevent burning. These two things will avoid burning the butter or marshmallows, thus altering the finished taste. It also prevents making Krispie treats that are very tough, hard to cut, and hard to chew.
- Sticky Tip : When mixing the marshmallows in with the cereal things will get sticky! Simply spray the rubber spatula with cooking spray to help make things more manageable if needed. Also, when pressing the treats into the pan spray your hands with cooking spray OR use a piece of parchment paper or wax paper to press the treats into the pan with. This will avoid the gooey marshmallow cereal from sticking to your hands.
More Peanut Butter Treats You’ll Love
- Costco Copycat Peanut Butter Chocolate Cream Pie
- Reese’s Poke Cake
- Muddy Buddy Bites
- Reese’s Pieces Peanut Butter Bars
- Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 bag (10 oz) mini marshmallows (equal to 6 cups)
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. You can also line it with parchment paper (spray it lightly) for easy removal if wanted. * I like to spray the pan first with cooking spray and then line it with parchment paper. This helps the paper adhere and stay stuck to the pan.
- Pour the rice krispie cereal into a large bowl and set it aside for later.6 cups rice krispie cereal
- In a large saucepan, over LOW heat, add the butter and let it melt completely.4 tablespoons salted butter
- Once the butter has melted, keeping the heat at LOW, slowly stir in the creamy peanut butter and vanilla extract with a rubber spatula and mix until it's a smooth and creamy mixture.3/4 cup creamy peanut butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add in the mini marshmallows, while stirring constantly, and mix until the marshmallows are completely melted and smooth.1 bag (10 oz) mini marshmallows
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over top the cereal inside the large mixing bowl. Use a rubber spatula to combine. The mixture will be slightly sticky and thick, but keep mixing to ensure that all the cereal is coated. * If it's getting too sticky, spray your spatula with cooking spray.
- Press the rice krispie mix into the prepared pan using your hands or a spatula. * Take care not to press it too hard or else it will make the treats more chewy and crisp. Use a gentle hand to press the mixture into the pan. If it's too sticky, spray your hands lightly with cooking spray OR use a piece of wax paper or parchment paper to press the treat mixture into the pan.
- Set the pan aside, at room temperature, for about 30 minutes so the treats can set and cool. Cut into squares and enjoy!