Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
This easy to make dinnertime favorite – Crockpot Crack Chicken – is always a hit at any dinner table! So creamy, rich, and delicious and made with only a few ingredients like chicken, cream cheese, ranch seasoning, cheddar cheese, and bacon.
Crockpot Crack Chicken Recipe
If you’re looking for a family-approved simple dinnertime solution to make, then you’ve found it with this irresistible dump & go crockpot recipe for crack chicken.
Crack chicken gets its name because of the combination of “addictive” ingredients that pair perfectly together; chicken, cream cheese, bacon, and cheddar cheese. It’s a perfect combo of flavors and everyone always loves it.
With this simple dump & go recipe all you have to do is add the ingredients into the crock pot and let it cook all day. When it’s ready, serve the crack chicken over rice, egg noodles, or inside buns (our favorite way to eat it) for a sandwich or sloppy joe type dinner.
Crack Chicken Ingredients
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts : I recommend trimming the chicken breasts before placing them into the crockpot. Remove any weird cartilage/vein type pieces from the chicken breast for the best results. The recipe calls for 2 pounds which is about 4 chicken breasts.
- Cream Cheese : Just dump in the bar of cream cheese. No need to soften it before adding it into the slow cooker. There are lots of other options for the cream cheese as well, so be sure and read below for the substitution ideas.
- Ranch Seasoning Packet
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese : I prefer to shred my own cheese from a block of cheddar cheese but pre-shredded cheese can be used just fine.
- Bacon Strips : Cook and chop 8 bacon strips for the recipe or use some bacon bits instead for easy prep. I love using the microwave bacon from the Costco brand (Kirkland Signature) because it crisps up perfectly in the microwave and it’s mess-free.
- Sliced Green Onion
How To Make Crack Chicken In The Crock Pot (Printable Recipe Card Below)
Spray the insert of the crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Add the chicken into the bottom.
Sprinkle the ranch seasoning packet over top the chicken and then lay the cream cheese blocks on top.
Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on LOW heat for 6-7 hours.
Use two forks to shred the chicken inside the crockpot and stir everything together until well combined and the chicken is coated in the creamy sauce.
Top the shredded chicken with the cheddar cheese, bacon, and sliced green onions.
Cover the crockpot again and let the cheese melt for 5-10 minutes.
Serve inside hamburger buns or your favorite roll or on top of rice or pasta/egg noodles. We love eating these as sandwiches because there is not enough moisture in the chicken to serve it over rice usually.
Changes & Substitution Ideas
- Cream Cheese : Use a flavored cream cheese like bacon, jalapeño, or chive and onion instead of the regular bar of cream cheese. I recommend only replacing one bar of cream cheese with the flavored cream cheese if doing that. The tubs of flavored cream cheese are only about 7.5 ounces which is just fine.
- Bacon : Cook bacon your favorite way, use microwave bacon, or use bacon bits.
- Serving Suggestions : My family’s favorite way to eat crack chicken is inside Hamburg buns or other roll. You can also serve it over cooked rice of choice, egg noodles, or pasta. The chicken does not make a ton of sauce which is why it’s best served as a sandwich.
Will This Burn If I Don’t Put Any Liquid In The Crockpot?
This is a common concern with this recipe. I have made it several times and as it cooks, the liquid will be released from the chicken and cream cheese which will prevent anything from burning. If you’re still worried about it – consider adding 1/4 cup water or chicken broth to the booth of the slow cooker.
Easy Crockpot Crack Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 4 chicken breasts)
- 1 packet ranch seasoning mix
- 2 bars (8 oz each) cream cheese (full-fat or reduced-fat)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 bacon strips cooked & crumbled
- sliced green onions
- Spray the insert of the crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Add the chicken into the bottom.2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Sprinkle the ranch seasoning packet over top the chicken and then lay the cream cheese blocks on top.1 packet ranch seasoning mix, 2 bars (8 oz each) cream cheese
- Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on LOW heat for 6-7 hours.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken inside the crockpot and stir everything together until well combined and the chicken is coated in the creamy sauce.
- Top the shredded chicken with the cheddar cheese, bacon, and sliced green onions.1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 8 bacon strips, sliced green onions
- Cover the crockpot and let the cheese melt for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve inside hamburger buns or your favorite roll or on top of rice or pasta/egg noodles. We love eating these as sandwiches!