Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Meatball Sub Casserole is a quick & easy casserole dinner recipe that only needs 5 ingredients! Tastes just like a meatball sub but in casserole form with buttery biscuits, frozen meatballs, pasta sauce, and cheese. This is a family favorite dinner!
Meatball Sub Casserole Recipe (With Biscuits and Frozen Meatballs)
If you love classic meatball subs then you have to try this super easy meatball sub casserole! Easy to make with 5 ingredients like frozen meatballs, jarred marinara sauce, biscuits, Italian seasoning, and cheese this casserole comes together with just minutes of prep time.
Even though there are very few ingredients, this casserole is so delicious and all the flavors combine perfectly in this family favorite meal.
- Buttermilk Biscuits – These are the canned, refrigerated biscuits that come with 8 in the container. Pillsbury is the main brand but store brands also make them.
- Marinara Sauce/Pasta Sauce – Use 2 cups of your favorite sauce.
- Frozen Meatballs – 20 frozen meatballs is what the recipe calls for.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Italian Seasoning
How To Make A Meatball Sub Casserole (Step-by-Step Directions & Full Recipe Card)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 ceramic casserole pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Open the biscuits and cut each biscuit (8 biscuits total) into nine smaller pieces. Spread the biscuit pieces into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread the pasta sauce evenly over top the biscuits, making sure to cover each one.
- Press the frozen meatballs into the biscuits in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over top.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over top the cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the biscuits are cooked through.
What Are Some Changes & Variations I Can Make To This Casserole Recipe?
- Marinara Sauce/Pasta Sauce : Use any jarred or canned pasta sauce you like! You can use tomato basil, four cheese, Italian sausage, mini meatball sauce, or a garden vegetable sauce. This is the same jarred sauce that you would use over spaghetti noodles.
- Meatballs : Use beef meatballs, Angus beef meatballs, turkey meatballs, or your favorite plant-based meatballs. Whatever you use, you need to make sure they’re fully cooked before adding them to the casserole.
- Seasonings : If wanted, add more seasonings to this casserole. Add some red pepper chili flakes for some spice, add basil, oregano, garlic powder, or more Italian seasoning. You can even add a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese.
Do I Need To Thaw The Frozen Meatballs?
No, you do not have to thaw the meatballs first. Just place the frozen meatballs right into the casserole pan. You do need to use precooked meatballs! There is just no need to thaw them first.
Store leftover meatball sub casserole inside an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge. You can also just cover the casserole pan with foil or plastic wrap and store it that way. Reheat leftovers inside the microwave until warmed through.
Meatball Sub Casserole
- 16.3 oz (8 count) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 20 frozen meatballs (precooked)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Spray a 9×13 casserole pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Open the can of biscuits and cut each biscuit (8 biscuits total) into nine smaller pieces. Place the biscuit pieces into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish in an even layer. * To cut into 9 smaller pieces : Cut each biscuit into 3 rows and then cut each row piece into 3 pieces. You'll end up with 9 small square pieces of biscuit dough.16.3 oz (8 count) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- Evenly spread the pasta sauce over the biscuits, making sure to cover each biscuit.2 cups pasta sauce
- Gently press the meatballs into the biscuits in an even layer.20 frozen meatballs
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over top the meatballs, and then sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the cheese.2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Cover the casserole pan with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the meatballs are warmed and the biscuits are cooked through.